Note: As the annual HIMSS conference quickly approaches and strives to bring folks together to help transform health through IT, CDW Healthcare spoke to our partner EMC about its focus for HIMSS16 and how EMC is planning to make an impact on health IT.
2016: The Year of Health IT Transformation
2016 is a year of accelerated health IT transformation. The IT market continues to shift with emerging technologies ready for deployment by the healthcare enterprise: enterprise flash, software-defined networks and storage, along with hybrid and public cloud. Over the past few years, these technologies have matured to become cornerstones of the modern data center while incorporating trust to make data available, secure and protected.
This is the year healthcare organizations take IT to the next level to move from traditional on-premise investments to become the broker of trusted IT services, leveraging hybrid cloud capabilities for the health system, doctors and patients.
So what does this IT transformation look like in action? From our perspective, it’s a multi-step process:
- Embrace modern architecture — technologies like converged and hyperconverged infrastructure; software-defined, scaled-out and scaled-up storage; and advanced data protection and security.
- Accelerate modern application adoption by rationalizing and seamlessly decommissioning legacy systems. This includes intelligently storing legacy data more cost-effectively while making it simple to access.
- Formulate a new way of managing IT — one that’s hybrid cloud-oriented. Hybrid clouds offer the flexibility to leverage private clouds, whether they’re in owned or shared data centers, and trusted public cloud services to be more agile to meet the growing demands placed on health IT.
- Leverage prescriptive analytics across the continuum of care to address the needs of population health. Data analytics gives the health system the opportunity to move beyond answering “What did we do?” to “What should we do?”
By embracing a modern data center architecture, healthcare organizations can:
- Reduce costs and improve efficiencies across the health system
- Increase care collaboration and more easily distribute or access data within the organization
- Support compliance with protection that’s built in, everywhere
- Enhance security regardless of whose cloud the data may be in or how the organization is moving data between sites
- Better leverage Big Data analytics for population health management
But why now? Why is 2016 the right time? Over the past few years, healthcare organizations have been focused on rolling out key technology and process changes, in large part driven by EMR meaningful use (MU) requirements. These initiatives required EMR technology to be deployed, protected and put to work within the hospital environment. Now that those systems are, in large part, in place, health systems can focus on optimizing that infrastructure as they gear up for MU3 requirements.
Additionally, technology has matured in the past two or three years and is ready for clinical workloads. Cloud solutions are being embraced as solution providers add security, SLAs and BAAs, and tailor solutions specific to healthcare provider environments. For instance, enterprise flash is proving itself in clinical applications and delivering fantastic performance. And converged infrastructure has become a standard for simplifying operations for the modern data center.
Now that healthcare organizations are getting past the significant investments they’ve made for EMR meaningful use, they’re ready to leverage modern technologies to create IT departments that are agile and can scale rapidly to meet data demands across the continuum of care, while lessening their risk and costs.
HIMSS16 and EMC
“Health IT transformation” is a focus we’re dedicated to, and excited about, at HIMSS16! At EMC, our strategy is simple: Build compelling healthcare offerings with clinical ISVs and cloud providers while leveraging key partners, like CDW Healthcare, to help customers make their journey to health IT transformation.
We’re looking forward to seeing the latest innovations from industry ISVs that will shape the next generation of healthcare. And we’re excited to learn more about the solutions coming from our valued partners — hearing their messages and aligning their offerings with what we bring to the table. In the end, it’s a true opportunity to have health IT leaders, ISVs and our partners in the same room for meaningful conversations about challenges, burgeoning solutions and the future of health IT. Bringing this healthcare ecosystem together in one location is really what HIMSS is all about.
Visit Us at HIMSS16
We invite you to join the conversation at EMC’s Booth #1921 and CDW Healthcare’s Booth #3606. Experience our technology offerings firsthand to see how they can help your organization take it to the next level for true IT transformation!